History of the Temple
The roots of he Calgary Buddhist Temple can be traced back to August 17, 1951 with the formation of the Calgary Hoyu Kai (Friends of the Dharma) and the Obon service held that day. The service was led by the visiting minister Sensei Y. Kawamura.
The group continued to meet for services in members’ homes, then later at a community centre, but without a resident minister. This situation continued for about 20 years when, in 1970, a committee conducted a survey. They found that there were a significant number of Buddhist families who were willing to support a Jodo Shinshu minister. A fund-raising campaign was organized.
Finally, in 1972, Sensei S. K. Ikuta and his family moved to Calgary to lead the newly-formed Calgary Buddhist Temple.
In 1981, the temple building was purchased from the former Croatian Catholic Church and the inaugural service was held on October 18 of that year.
The dedication service for the Amida statue was held on October 21, 1984. The statue was carved by the famous Japanese sculptor Koei Eri. It was displayed in Japan and Europe before it was installed in the temple.
The Amida statue at the Calgary Buddhist Temple was carved by the famous Japanese sculptor, Koei Eri
1951 Calgary Hoyu Kai (Friends of the Dharma) established on August 17, 1951
1958 First Dharma School
1965 Tenth Anniversary Service of the Calgary Hoyu Kai
1970 Calgary Hoyu Kai joins the Alberta Kyouku (parish)
1971 Incorporation of the Calgary Buddhist Church
1972 Sensei S.K. Ikuta joins the Temple
1980 Sensei Y. Miyakawa serves as resident minister (1980-82)
1981 Temple buys the Croatian Catholic Church
1984 Amida statue installed. Gomonshu and Lady Ohtani visit Calgary.
1998 Sensei Ikuta serves as Socho of the Buddhist Churches of Canada from 1998 to 2002.
2005 The temple adopts a revised set of bylaws
2005 Gomonshu and Lady Ohtani visit Calgary as part of the BCC Centennial Celebrations
2006 The temple celebrates its 50th Anniversary