Obon is a time to express our gratitude to loved ones who have passed on before us. Without them, we would not be able to do the things we do to enjoy life. Just think about the number of people involved in creating each of us. Since we’re all influenced by a countless number of beings, our inter-connections, and therefore our debt of gratitude is without bounds. Thus, temples hold an Obon memorial service to enable people to pay tribute to the departed.
Everyone is welcome to attend and join this special service of gratitude.
Everyone is welcome to join us on Sunday, June 17 for our annual Family Day Picnic at Edworthy Park, site #1 on the south side of the river.
Bring a potluck dish, the kids and the dogs. Dogs need to be on a leash, kids do not! Ha, ha!
Games, races and prizes galore!
Recognizing Shinran’s Birth and Senior’s Appreciation Day!
Gotany’e – The birth of the Founder of Jodo Shinshu is commemorated annually as an expression of joy and happiness. Shinran Shonin was born at Hino, a few miles southeast of Kyoto on May 21, 1173.
Keirokai is a special time to honor the elders of our community (“Kei” means to honor or respect; “ro” refers to the elderly).
Please join us for a luncheon after service. If there is anyone who is a member 70 years or older and is not on the list, please contact Yuko at email@example.com
The Calgary Buddhist Temple was pleased to host the 2018 Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Temples of Canada (JSBTC) Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Calgary, Alberta from April 27th to April 29th, 2018.
So many to thank for making our hosting event such a great success……….
Thank you to the planning committee, all the board members, assistant Senseis and especially to the volunteers who are too many to name!
Your contribution to our national AGM is greatly appreciated!
To view or download the complete event schedule – 2018 AGM Schedule or refer to the meeting webpage for additional information.
As we head into late spring, the Fundraising committee is gearing up for our annual events. We are requesting once again for your participation and help.
- We are asking for donation of garage sale items for our annual garage that will be held some time in late May or early June. Date will be finalized once the Bridgeland Parade of Garage sale date is announced. We will gratefully accept items other than clothing and books. We also ask you to bring items to the Temple after the national AGM that we are hosting on the weekend of April 27,28,29.
- We are also taking donations of new or gently used Japanese items for our sales table at the August 11th Calgary Japanese Festival “Omatsuri”.
- We have newly made gyozas for sale. They are $10 per dozen. Please note that we won’t be making them again this year so get yours while they last!
If you have any questions or want to make arrangements for the drop off of items please contact the following committee members:
- Mickey at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-271-8824
- Yuko at: email@example.com
- Dan at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Calgary Buddhist Temple is honored to host the 2018 Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Temples of Canada Annual General Meeting (JSBTC AGM) from Thursday April 25th to Sunday April 29, 2018 which will be held at the Temple.
As the host temple, we have the opportunity for our members to volunteer for various positions during the four days. Please understand that we require your phone number, preferably cell number, for this event. Bakers, you can bring your homemade goodies during the event or bring them earlier on the Sunday before, on April 22, to be frozen. Drivers, please let us know how many guests you are able to transport by writing in comments.
Please SIGN UP if you able to help/volunteer!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dan McCormack at 403-585-0518.
With your help, we will be great hosts to our Canadian Bishop, our wonderful ministers from across Canada, the Board and Temple delegates as well as observers and other out-of-town guests!