The Calgary Buddhist Temple in pleased to host the 2018 Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Temples of Canada (JSBTC) Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Calgary, Alberta from April 27th to April 29th, 2018.
To view or download the complete event schedule – 2018 AGM Schedule or refer to the meeting webpage for additional information.
EVERYONE is welcome to join us for dharma talks on Saturday afternoon (3:30 pm – 4:30 pm at the Temple), for the banquet on Saturday night ($50/person), and a special service on Sunday.
To prepare for the JSBTC AMG that is being held in Calgary from April 26 – 29, we would like to do a quick temple clean up immediately following service on Sunday, April 22. If everyone pitches in, it should only take 15 to 20 minutes. Thanks
As we head into late spring, the Fundraising committee is gearing up for our annual events. We are requesting once again for your participation and help.
- We are asking for donation of garage sale items for our annual garage that will be held some time in late May or early June. Date will be finalized once the Bridgeland Parade of Garage sale date is announced. We will gratefully accept items other than clothing and books. We also ask you to bring items to the Temple after the national AGM that we are hosting on the weekend of April 27,28,29.
- We are also taking donations of new or gently used Japanese items for our sales table at the August 11th Calgary Japanese Festival “Omatsuri”.
- We have newly made gyozas for sale. They are $10 per dozen. Please note that we won’t be making them again this year so get yours while they last!
If you have any questions or want to make arrangements for the drop off of items please contact the following committee members:
- Mickey at: email@example.com or 403-271-8824
- Yuko at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dan at: email@example.com
The Calgary Buddhist Temple is honored to host the 2018 Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Temples of Canada Annual General Meeting (JSBTC AGM) from Thursday April 25th to Sunday April 29, 2018 which will be held at the Temple.
As the host temple, we have the opportunity for our members to volunteer for various positions during the four days. Please understand that we require your phone number, preferably cell number, for this event. Bakers, you can bring your homemade goodies during the event or bring them earlier on the Sunday before, on April 22, to be frozen. Drivers, please let us know how many guests you are able to transport by writing in comments.
Please SIGN UP if you able to help/volunteer!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dan McCormack at 403-585-0518.
With your help, we will be great hosts to our Canadian Bishop, our wonderful ministers from across Canada, the Board and Temple delegates as well as observers and other out-of-town guests!
The “Flower Festival” is commemorated on this day to celebrate the birth of Siddhartha Gautama, who later became enlightened as Shakyamuni Buddha. The “hanamido” a miniature floral altar of bright flowers, provides the scene of the beautiful Lumbini Garden. The statue of the baby Buddha, illustrates the merits of Amida Buddha, reaching out to all beings. The pouring of sweet tea on the statue of baby Buddha (kambutsu) represents the gentle rain which fell on Lumbini’s Garden that day.
After the Hanamatsuri service on Sunday, April 8th, join us for lunch. Please SIGN UP if you are able to bring some items to complete the Chow Mein and Ham Sandwich lunch and thank you to those who have already let the Toban group know what you’re bringing. Thank you for everyone’s contribution!
We will also be selling yummy homemade Gyoza for $10/ dozen.
Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held following the regular service on Sunday, April 15.
It is important that you join us in supporting the current board and adding your voice to the business of operating the temple!
Our success depends on having an active Sangha that cares and wishes Jodo Shinshu to continue to grow in the future!